For the Cake
- 1.5 cups very ripe bananas 3 fresh bananas or 4 thawed, previously frozen bananas
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup soft butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 cups buttermilk OR milk soured with one tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
For the Frosting
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 8 oz cream cheese room temp.
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3.5 cups icing sugar also known as powdered sugar or confectioner's sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 275 F, and grease and flour (or spray), a 9x13 cake pan.
- Mash banana and mix with lemon juice and set aside.
- In a med bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- If you're making your own buttermilk, combine milk and vinegar (or lemon juice) in a small bowl, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla.
- Beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Stir in bananas.
- Pour into cake pan and bake 1 hour and 10 mins (or until knife comes out clean). *if need be, cook longer, checking every 10 minutes until cake is fully cooked.
- Immediately place in freezer for 45 minutes. (if not completely cool upon removal from freezer, let cool further before icing).
- Cream butter and cream cheese.
- Beat in vanilla and icing sugar on low until combined, then high until smooth.
- Frost cake and enjoy!
This article and recipe adapted from this site